Sunday, September 22, 2013

Avène Cleanance™ Soapless Gel Cleanser

Site Description:
A soap free cleanser which delicately and gently cleanses the skin. It effectively eliminates surface impurities and excess sebum without "stripping" the skin, thanks to the combination of an oil regulating and cleansing agent.

Hypoallergenic & Non-comedogenic




Bottle Description
Very rich in Avène thermal spring water, this ultra-mild cleansing gel is kind to young problem skin, while at the same time satisfying its need for purity: it helps purify the skin and regulate oil secretions. Apply to damp face, lather, then rinse thoroughly and pat dry.

Cost - $27.95RRP (I bought it on sale for $22.95)
Packaging - 200ml

How I use it:
1. I dampen my face with water
2. Squeeze a small amount (a little goes a long way) to damp finger tips
3. Lather the gel in between my finger tips to let it foam up (this step amuses me)

Lather it onto my face in a circular upward motion very well
Rinse thoroughly with water (I splash the water on my face gently)
Pat my face dry with a face cloth

My Thoughts
My aunt first introduced me to this product back in April 2010 when I was telling her about my blog, my skin troubles due to my menstrual cycle, that my skin would act up leading up to it, how I would have a breakout, and then it would take nearly 3 weeks to clear up, then I would have clear skin for a week before it acts up once again. It's a horrible cycle.

However, with this cleanser, it has helped tremendously with my breakouts, and during my last few cycles, only one lonesome blemish reared its ugly head. Maybe to others, that is still one zit too many, but for me, it was not that bad. It was certainly better than having multiple blemishes and this one lone zit was significantly easier to deal with.

As I've mentioned before, my skin tends to go dry during winter and oily in summer (normal, right?!), and this cleanser does not strip the oils from my face, make it feel dry or tight. This was recommended to me since I have normal-dry skin that is prone to breakouts. Reading forums and blog posts, I don't think it is very suitable for oily skin types. I still use my Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil to remove makeup from my face as this Avène Cleanance™ Soapless Gel Cleanser isn't such a great makeup remover.

Another great thing about Avène is that this brand does not test on animals.. to quote this is in the FAQ section of the Avène website:

"All tests are conducted on volunteers so that we can ensure that everything about the product is pleasurable from the packaging to the texture of the product."

So I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that the volunteers are people (*fingers crossed*).

The packaging is brilliant; the lid locks up tight, so it is travel friendly, but make sure you place it in a zip lock bag for extra precaution!

The scent is very refreshing and it does not irritate me - I actually quite like it. But for some others, it may be a bit too powerful and overwhelming. 

I know this is a very late review, but I wanted to test the product thoroughly. I am close approaching using Avène Cleanance™ Soapless Gel Cleanser for 2 years and it is now my HG for breakouts or controlling breakouts. It's a must have when I travel and my skin is prone to breakouts!

Ingredients:

Avène Thermal Spring Water (Avène Aqua) discovered in the depths of the earth in the heart of Southern France, it has continued to be revered for efficacy and relief in the treatment of skin ailments, particularly skin inflammation and irritation.

Water (Aqua) The most widely used cosmetic ingredient; usually listed first as it is usually the ingredient with the highest concentration.

Decyl Glucoside a gentle detergent cleansing agent

Polysorbate-20 Large group of ingredients most often derived from lauric acid, which is derived from coconuts. Polysorbates function as emulsifiers and also have mild surfactant properties, considered non-toxic and safe.

Cetearath-60 Myristyl Glycol Fatty alcohol that is used to thicken cosmetics and keep ingredients mixed together and stable.

Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate mild detergent cleansing agent.

Glycerin Also called glycerol or glycerine; it is present in all natural lipids (fats), whether animal or vegetable. It can be derived from natural substances by hydrolysis of fats and by fermentation of sugars. It can also be synthetically manufactured. Whether natural or synthetic, glycerin is a humectant and extremely hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs water from other sources. So, in part, glycerin works because of its ability to attract water from the environment and from the lower layers of skin (dermis) increasing the amount of water in the surface layers of skin. Another aspect of glycerin’s benefit is that it is a skin-identical ingredient, meaning it is a substance found naturally in skin. In that respect it is one of the many substances in skin that help maintain the outer barrier and prevent dryness or scaling.

Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate surfactant known (and used) for its foam-boosting properties.

Methyl Gluceth-20 Liquid that functions as a water-binding and skin-conditioning agent.

Benzoic Acid Preservative used in skin-care products; it is considered less irritating than some other forms of preservatives.

Cetrimonium Bromide is one of the components of the topical antiseptic cetrimide. The cetrimonium (or hexadecyltrimethylammonium) cation is an effective antiseptic agent against bacteria and fungi.

Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin) Seed Oil Pumpkin seed oil is a highly nourishing and lubricating oil, and is useful for all skin types. It is especially good if used to combat fine lines and superficial dryness and to prevent moisture loss.

Disodium EDTA Acronym for ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, a stabilizer used in cosmetics to prevent ingredients in a given formula from binding with trace elements (particularly minerals) that can exist in water and with other ingredients to cause unwanted product changes to the texture, the odor, and the consistency. The technical term for ingredients that perform this function is chelating agent.

Fragrance One or a blend of volatile and/or fragrant plant oils (or synthetically derived oils) that impart aroma and odor to products. These are often skin irritants.

Green 5 (Cl 61570) I'm sorry guys, I searched everywhere and could not unearth what this ingredient is or what its uses are...

Lactic Acid Alpha hydroxy acid extracted from milk, although most forms used in cosmetics are synthetic. It exfoliates cells on the surface of skin by breaking down the material that holds skin cells together. It may irritate mucous membranes and cause irritation.

Phenoxyethanol Common cosmetic preservative that is considered one of the less irritating ones to use in formulations. It does not release formaldehyde.

Yellow 5 (Cl 19140) Tartrazine (otherwise known as E number E102) is a synthetic lemon yellow azo dye used as a food coloring. (OK, that is interesting...)

Zinc Gluconate Combination of zinc with a form of glucose (a sugar) that is commonly used in cold lozenges for its antiviral effects. I believe it serves the same purpose as Cetrimonium Bromide to prevent fungal growth in the product.

*Sources*
http://www.avene.com.au/
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetrimonium_bromide
http://www.dermaxime.com/pumpkin-seed.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment